Saturday, November 13, 2010

'The Pajama Game'

I have Netflix and I love it. I've also been telling my mother that I would put a few Doris Day movies in my queue so she could watch some that are hard to find, or those which she just doesn't want to go and buy at this time. There are a few in the instant play section and the first one I saw was 'The Pajama Game' so I decided that, since I had nothing to do tonight, I would go ahead and watch it with her.

I trucked my XBOX on down, hooked it up, downloaded the 300 updates that have been released in the 6 months since I actually turned the damn thing on, and fired up the movie. Why, oh why, did I pick this movie to play? See, here's the thing about these movies: they are either really good or really bad. Even if they have a large amount of cheese, they can still be considered good if you get a laugh or two (at or with the film, it doesn't really matter sometimes). When they go rotten, they go rotten bad. This damn movie made NO freakin' sense.

It opens in a pajama factory and immediately the characters start dancing and singing before we are sort-of introduced to the leads (Day and some guy who resembles Cole Hauser). I shit you not, they almost instantly start singing about how in love with the other they are. I mean, 5 minutes in and they are almost walking down the aisle (My Dad, who decided to watch this movie with us, pointed out that they need to keep the train moving).

After what seemed like 90 minutes of singing, dancing and bad acting but was really just about 20 minutes of singing, dancing and bad acting, they fight because the workers are striking over a pay raise and Day breaks the line and gets fired by the dude-who-looks-like-Cole-Hauser, also her boyfriend, before more singing and dancing ensues which leads to Hauser-dude finding out the amount the workers want in a raise was added at some point in the books and they give them the raise they all want which leads to singing and dancing. The End.

There are some good songs that came out of this movie, like Hernando's Hideaway, but the majority of this movie is pretty much captured by the seemingly random babbling I typed above. Seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment